6. Top tips
- Encourage the students to write essays in which they have to argue for a position.
- Stress the role of history in economics and economic thought.
- Comparison is difficult so students must be guided through the process: explain the teaching strategy you are using.
- Structure the module/course so that competing perspectives are reinforced: start early and repeat often.
- Use/construct readers as a substitute for or complement to textbooks.
- Use autobiographical accounts to show how economists change their mind and why.
- Offer extensive feedback on assignments – perhaps create space for this by refusing to give advanced guidance.