2 Factors to consider in the design of seminars
This section outlines five important issues to consider when designing an undergraduate seminar programme:
- the variation in students’ abilities and ways in which to create a valuable learning experience regardless of initial ability in a given subject area;
- student learning styles and seminar activities that are appropriate to each type of learner;
- transferable skills and the importance of incorporating these skills into a varied programme of seminar activities;
- student activity and learning, which includes the importance of students engaging in the learning process and the link between understanding, application and motivation;
- a discussion of the role of seminars in a programme of teaching and learning.